Gifts of Stock
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares you have owned for one year or more to the Jewish Free Loan Association (JFLA).
- JFLA sells your securities and uses the proceeds to support its mission, or to support the particular program you wish to support.
- You receive an immediate income-tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer.
A gift of appreciated securities may be appropriate for you if:
- You’re holding stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares that have appreciated.
- You want to make a gift that doesn’t affect your liquidity or cash flow.
If you use publicly-traded stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares that you have held for a year or longer to make your gift, you will receive an additional tax benefit because you are able to transfer appreciated stock to JFLA without recognizing capital gains on the appreciation. You can thus leverage a larger donation than you could make with cash and receive a larger tax benefit.
Please consult your tax advisor for additional information affecting your individual circumstance.
For electronic transfer of stock, please contact us for instructions on how to transfer stock by wire.
Murray Levin, JFLA, CFO
(323) 761-8830 x 105 or email@example.com